Monday 28 March 2011

Window Wonderland Part IV

A fresh day and an opportunity to cast fresh eyes over the Cuboid King of the Seaside Skies. If I was going to put this LEGO seagull in my shop window it would have to look good. I was trying to build a reputation here. 

While I decided how to progress with the sculpture, I added more bricks to the breast. Before long, a crisis presented itself. The white bricks were definitely running out. I had found that the larger bricks gave the best effect when it came creating a spherical effect, particularly on something this size. For the time being I would have to settle for long, skinny, one stud posts. Not ideal, but they'll do. I'd have to consult eBay at some point. In the meantime I should focus my energies on the rest of the seagull's body. 

If I constructed the body cleverly, perhaps I could preserve some white bricks and complete the breast later. The seagull, in its standing pose, would have its grey wings at its side. And surely there's some black in there too. I set about building the back. Using white pieces.  

A key technique I discovered was that by keeping everything symmetrical the build becomes easier. When I built the head, for example, I completed one side of the face and then copied it, brick for brick on the opposite side. On top of these two sides I built the rest of the head. The body, being more complicated would require me to build out, down and around, but the brick-to-brick technique would still be put to use. I would start with the spine, as it were, and build off from that.

To get the angles right for the back and tail I used a special piece of LEGO which would be familiar to anyone who had ever built a set that contained a cabin. Above nearly every steering wheel/control panel in a LEGO vehicle there would be a hatch that could open up. Under this hatch you could place your Minifigure into the driving seat. Using three of these hatches I found the perfect means to creating the angles I wanted. 

With this long shape in place from the bottom of the neck to the tip of the tail, I could start working on the wings. As I rooted through my carrier bag of grey pieces a fresh problem dawned on me. Most of the LEGO sets I had apparently weren't predominantly grey. I was looking at a lot of little Technic parts, larger panels and the tracks to a certain Space-age monorail. Still, I could make this work. There were quite a few LEGO hinges in the mix. I could place these strategically and attach some panels and, hopefully, this would give my seagull wings. Simple as that.

Bigger than I expected...

But things were going to get more confusing. As I attached the hinges and smaller parts of the track it suddenly dawned on me that I would have to start building upside down. What's more, as the 'spine' got heavier it would dip below the angle I wanted. This was easy enough to rectify by connecting longer pieces of LEGO across the underside. What this now meant was that I had a new direction I had to build in. I decided then that the body would have to be hollow. There was going to be no way I could make a solid bird with LEGO going in all directions. I don't think my brain could take it.

Perhaps most frustrating of all was that every time I held the sculpture upside down, or on its side, the beak would drop off. Still, it brought to my attention the ineffectiveness of the beak I had created. Using a couple of yellow pieces I added the vicious hook to its tip. Another step in the right direction. The seagull was certainly taking shape.
Three more hours spent and that's got to be enough for now. Next, I'll be working on getting the wings right. I will not be defeated.
Watch this space...

  

No comments:

Post a Comment